share energy

share energy

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Staff Training: What Camp Means to Me or Let it Go

Today is the day that all of our little Cheley campers arrive. Having been here since May 21st in preparation for their arrival, it’s safe to say it’s been a long time coming. Reflecting on staff training, we’ve been more than prepared for the kids’ arrival with informative lectures on mindfullness, camp safety, risk management, van safety, bear and wildlife safety, as well as lectures with child psychiatrist and camp enthusiast, Bob Ditter.

 Bob Ditter is a dynamic and powerful speaker with many years of experience with young adults. He spoke about brain development, bullying, emotional safety, relationships, and he took his time to answer one-on-one questions as well as guide the counselors through hypothetical situations in which to help us be prepared. He gave us many tools to utilize through not only camp, but life in general.  The amount of research that has been done in child development in the last 30 years is remarkable. In the 80’s, there wasn’t research to assist in the difference between rearing boys versus girls due to the …… of male research by male researchers. There most definitely wasn’t the technology of brain scans to support and explain the chemical differences in teenagers and why they engage in risk-taking behaviors (high level of dopamine) or sleep later into the day with desires to stay up later at night (melatonin level is 3-5 hours later than adults). Not only as a camp counselor, but as an aspiring parent, Bob’s informative lectures gave me an understanding of the “why behind the what” that will assist in meeting young adults where they’re at.

Dr. Kristin Race gave a great lecture mindfulness, explaining the affects of stress on the brain that takes people into their Amygdala or “animalistic brain”, also commonly known as “fight or flight”. She shared fascinating information about media and the stress: researchers are aware of how to get your attention in commercials and other types of media with things like flashing lights or fast moving frames which cue that animalistic brain and therefore keep you in a higher state of alert or stress. It’s no secret that young adults spend more time with technology and coincidentally, are working on a higher sustained level of stress. She shared practices to reduce stress levels: unplugging from technology, mindful listening, mindful breathing and gratitude. All of that is right up my alley because hey, it’s all yoga baby….

On the conclusion of one evening, the staff gathered to share “what camp means to me”. Each counselor that shared has had a different experience with Cheley for a different length of time; one had been a camper and was on her first year of counseling, one counselor was returning from a 20+ year gap of working with Cheley, another counselor was on his maiden voyage with Cheley, so on and so forth.  Each story was insightful and beautiful in its own way and it got me thinking about my experience at Cheley thus far and what exactly, camp means to me.  I thought it would be interesting to see my experience evolve and wanted to take time to reflect on my time here before the campers arrived, before the richness of it really matured.


It should be mentioned that my childhood consisted of three summer camps, two of which were soccer camps and the other, a Girl Scout canoeing Camp the summer before 7th grade where we had to wash our bodies in iodine if the lake water actually touched our bodies. My most vivid memory of Girl Scout Camp was showering in my bathing suit with my best friend Jessica while she was in full panic, snot-dripping tears because of the herd of daddy long legs that shared our shower. I’ve done my best to exclude those camp experiences from the following.. 

Cheley Colorado Camps is friendly faces that wave at every passing; it's dirty fingernails from painting the sides of cabins to working with crafts and digging out porches from flood sediment. Camp is the ability to unplug from the petty annoyances that I've become so acquainted with calling "reality" and connecting with the immense beauty of being surrounded by mountains in the Estes Valley. It's living the lap of luxury with a cabin that has an attached bathroom although the water heater can go from freezing mountain cold to scalding hot in the blink of an eye. Cheley Colorado camps is family dining with new family members each and every meal; veggies burgers galore and tomato sauce with olives, yum! Camp is singing songs of gratitude before meals in the place of prayer and pounding on the dinner tables requesting a cook's parade after a good meal.

It's stinky feet and walking into ghost odors because we're all adjusting to the dietary change. It's the pungent smell of horse poop in the mornings as I walk to the dining hall past the barns. Cheley is friendships circles in the evenings as I put my arms around a stranger and hear beautiful harmonies from the voices around me. It's not knowing the traditions and willing to make mistakes as I continue to become familiar. It's validation; using "and" instead of "but".  It's stepping out of reaction and into presence; it's the ability to be your best self. 

For me, there is a large element of  letting go involved. The car is dirty inside and out, piles of dust line the back bumper and at times, I can't see out of my rear window. My daily habits and schedule has changed immensely and finding the grace of movement from moment to moment can often be met with frustration as things are so different. I'm aware that I am older than the counselors and we are in different places in our lives with different intentions and goals. I am a "sensational single" and do not have a unit in which to create strong ties and strong group energy. Just let it go. I forgot my water bottle and name tag and have to walk 15 minutes in the other direction to walk 15 minutes back again. Look around you, stay present and let it go. Spurs won the series and I didn't get to watch the game? Let it go. Celebrate the victory, set the focus on the victories and not the defeats. 

The thoughts that create difference between me and those around me are from the same mind that, with practice, can create the feeling of oneness with all that ever was and ever will be. The same mind that creates anxiety over the in-organization of living out of a vehicle and the dirt coating the interior is the same mind that successfully manages 6 craft shops, counselors and supplies. Human minds are largely automatic as they filter information regarding every detail of every second of every day. I remind myself to just let go of those things that bind me, cause reaction, create difference. Look around, breathe it in, and allow the magic in the soil to enchant my experience. Camp is allowing me to be present with my best self, to recognize that my abilities and gifts are different than those around me and that's it's up to me to engage, it's up to me to use this beautiful place to create change in myself and those around me. 

Here's to the first month of Cheley Colorado Camps: to the experiences in all colors of the spectrum, to the lessons learned and yet to come, to being present and mostly, letting go of what does not serve my best self.  


1 comment: