share energy

share energy

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

midterm and missing you.

The days are swiftly coming and passing and each day holds a new adventure, a new experience, a new connection and a new story to tell. It seems like just yesterday we were welcoming kids to camp and in one week, our first term will come to an end.  We've made it through a sweeping stomach bug that started in boys camp, took down some staff and counselors and moved through girl's camp. A few of the kids have gotten sick multiple times and my heart goes out to the little ones who are sick away from all of the things that offer them comfort.  Dustin and I have been able to stay healthy; I'm sure it helps that Dustin is away from camp Mon-Friday and I've kept a regular kundalini practice, focusing on deep breathing and igniting my inner heat as well as kriyas to promote health and immunity. 

I volunteered to help with the laundry of the senior boys and girl's camps, Hiayaha and Senior Chipeta, when we were short-staffed due to illness. I enjoy doing laundry, it's the least ...of the household chores and I'm usually just bouncing around to a song in my head as I fold laundry and switch loads. The boy's laundry was nothing, they can wear the same piece of clothing until it is green with stench, so there weren't many loads. I lectured the boys in my mind as all of their socks were tied together, their shirts inside out and small gifts left in their pockets to jangle in the dryer. I even stopped myself from throwing out a Lebron James Heat t-shirt... ha! (it was just a passing thought...) While finishing the boy's laundry, the Senior Girl's laundry came in and kept coming in, piles and piles and piles. What did I get myself into? Where boys wore their same pair of jeans all week long, the girls changed their clothes at every meal and then twice while they were sleeping. Almost 60 loads of laundry later, I had much respect for the swing crew, who make this camp go 'round behind the scenes with laundry, kitchen duty and other extremely supportive roles. 

In my job as crafts coordinator, I have the freedom to create my own schedule. This allows me to go on program in different areas as well as with my crafts counselors, experiencing an array of young people in many different tasks and ability ranges. I also have the ability to join Dustin out at RockStock, a permanent outcamp where two different units visit each week to make their own meals, play games and learn the basics of camping.  

I've spent a lot of time with the Lower SkiHi Boys (ages 9-11), they're a really sweet and fun group of kiddos. I helped out in the ceramics shop with them when they were tasked with creating a key-hider: a bear or turtle that has a removable back/shell where you can place an emergency key in case you lock yourself out. There were lots of fart noises and beating of the clay as they created their respective animals. When they'd completed their animals they were tasked with cleaning up their area and washing their hands. This was no easy task; as soon as they'd left the room to put their animal on the drying round, they never returned. Gathering these boys was like herding chickens, each of them had found a toy or object in the other room that was far more desirable than cleaning their area (of course!). I perched myself next to the sink where the boys were quickly running their hands under water, never even approaching a state of clean. With a towel in hand, I instructed as they washed ears, face, arms, HAIR... one little boy couldn't reach the mark on his face so I asked him if I may clean his face and he obliged. He closed his eyes, wrinkled his nose and just kept right on talking as I wiped the grey clay off his face. I thought about his mom and how many times she'd seen his little face looking up to her and done just this. It warmed my heart, my heart sent blood to my ovaries which proceeded to do somersaults in my abdomen . 

I was also able to join the Lower SkiHi boys during their outcamp at Rockstock with Dustin. I arrived a day after one of the boys had fallen from the swing and broken his wrist. It was the second injury in 30 years that Cheley had sustained from a swing at Rockstock, truly an unfortunate accident. I was very happy to see that the boy had returned back to Rockstock, eager to continue his outcamping adventure with his group, undeterred by the accident! The campers were in charge of every aspect of making the meals, fire starting and clean-up. It took a bit longer than the older boys with a few remarks in refocusing from the counselors, but they were a smashing success. We played word games and games around the fire, and I even challenged them to the most difficult task they had endured in their young lives: TWO MINUTES OF SILENCE including no communication with your hands or mouthing words. They were game for the challenge and successfully completed 2 mins and 30 seconds of silence, much to the pleasure of the adults present. Some of the boys said they enjoyed the few minutes at which point I offered to extend it to 10 minutes and was quickly shot down. 

I spent time with Girls Trails End (GTE) for spa day where we created lip balm, sugar scrub, soap and gave one another henna tattoos! As I've mentioned before, GTE was hit especially hard by the floods and it's done nothing but make the bond between the girls and the land even stronger. GTE is a wonderful, thoughtful and helpful group of girls. They never have to be asked twice and take great pride in their work and commitments. I enjoy my time with them very much. 

This certainly doesn't encapsulate my first term here at Cheley, although it may give you an idea of some of the experiences that are closest to my heart. I've been able to lead kid's yoga with Lower Chipeta girls (ages 9-11) and a more structured yoga practice to the Senior Chipetans (ages 14-17). The Senior girls are rock-stars... dropping back into bridge pose like it's EASY! I've led crafts with SkiHi and painted their cute little faces; they were even nice enough to paint my face. 

On our days off, Dustin and I have toured the Stanley Hotel and sought out it's most haunted room, room 418. Dustin wants to stay in this room at some point and have a real paranormal experience and I'd just rather not: I saw Poltergeist at too young an age. We have also hiked the Flatirons and peaked Twin Sisters. We have next Monday off for midterm and I have something very special planned in Denver... 

Cheley continues to bring amazing experiences but I must say, I miss my people. A phone call just isn't cutting it anymore, I miss those who ground me in my truth, who know me so well that their presence is soothing to my soul. Dustin has these abilities without doubt, but as he's been gone Mon-Friday, I'm just missing those connections. I miss juicing, fresh greens and arugula salads; Whole Foods or Central Market whenever I want, a glass of wine while homemade pizza is cooking in the oven. I miss my Indioface kitty cat, waking me up 10 minutes before my alarm, I miss kundalini yoga classes and fresh veggies on the grill, guacamole with olives and turmeric. I miss Drew and Rylee laughing and playing, high-fives, exploding fist bumps, alien fingers and elbows. I miss my sister's laugh and my mom and dad's hugs... 

Love you all, thinking of you all, missing you all. I send my love from the mountains!




2 comments:

  1. Shedding tears of joy for you and tears for your hearts longings.
    Namaste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids and I talk about you often! We love an miss you too!! Colorado, the camp, and the kids sounds like a great time!
    PS- your nephew is teaching me how gross and dirty boys can be.
    ��

    ReplyDelete