share energy

share energy

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Shower Talk and Hydrotherapy

Some of the more challenging adjustments to permaculture living and life in The Yoga Forest have been centered around comfortable routines like bathroom practices and showering. This acclimation hasn't always been easy and I'm very much looking forward to having a bathroom attached to my living space once again. There's nothing quite like clenching your girly parts as you waddle-run to the toilets in the morning. But today's post isn't about bathrooms, although if you're interested you can catch Toilet Talk  here. Today's post is all about our lovely outdoor shower. 


the outside of the outdoor shower

As you can see from the above picture, privacy was created by using local bamboo. The land is heavily sloped and this helps move the run-off greywater (wastewater generated by showers and sink basins) into the banana beds and ginger root planted directly in front of the shower. The banana trees clean the water with their roots and produce some seriously tasty bananas: this is a great sustainable way to recycle greywater. 


the inside of the shower

The inside of the shower was created with local cobblestones and you can see the shower head peeking through the vines. Fun fact: the shower head does not utilize a pump for water pressure, but the slope of the land is again used by gathering rain water and water from waterfalls above to create a steady pressure. 

The sun hits this area between the hours of 8am-2pm and the sunlight is a major component in taking a warm shower. The shower utilizes a foil insulated,  re-purposed propane tank that's painted black, utilizing solar power to heat the water. 

the tank used to heat the water
During the rainy season when we receive very little sunshine, this tank is merely wishful thinking. During other times of the season with lots of sun, the water can be so hot, dare I call it scalding, and you can barely put your body underneath it. We try to use our hot water sparingly, especially with multiple people using the shower. As Shakespeare once wrote, "Expectation is the root of all heartache" and to avoid this heartache, I have committed to cold showers as in, I don't even use the hot water. 

It sounds crazy and thus I introduce Ishnaan: the Ancient Science of Hydrotherapy. If you take a cold shower in the morning before you eat, the blood rises to the skin to meet the challenge and warms the body. As each organ of the body has its own blood supply, the blood  and toxins are drawn out which produces a cleanse of all of your major organs. It's important not to take a cold shower after eating as a major portion of your blood will be in the stomach for digestion. Disrupting the digestive process by drawing the blood from the stomach can upset your stomach. Other benefits of taking a cold shower: you will be warmer throughout the day, especially through the cold season. Also, can you say cold water wake up call?! There will be no going back to bed after a brisk cold shower. Showers are also more likely to be shorter if they're cold, reducing water waste. 

This practice is definitely a step away from the norm, so ease into it, maybe by taking a cold shower and ending with warm water. I can tell you from experience, the worst part of cold showers is the anticipation moments before stepping in. Cold water down my spine still intimidates me! But after making this a continuous practice, it's something I look forward to because it is so refreshing. Dustin and I have also come up with some clever ways to stay warm during a cold shower: Dustin does a lot of yelling, shouting and over-the-top singing. He's been known to dance as well. Practitioners of Hydrotherapy take ice cold showers and massage the body until the body becomes literally hot

A few claims from Hydrotherapy that caught my attention: 

When the organs get a flushing, then immediately the glands have to change their secretion. It is a law. And when the glands change, the guardians of the health and life change, youth returns. What is youth? Young glands. Young glands are called youth.

It's a very simple thing. If I with my body can conquer the chilliness of the water, I can take away the chilliness of my life.

One of the best views at TYF
The view doesn't hurt either... The true test of my cold water showers comes when I have hot water at my disposal: will the promise of youth and young glands be enough to keep me away from the warm water? Only time will tell..  Cold showers are not fun or appealing when I'm feeling under the weather. Also, I miss my shower concerts and performance playlist like you'd never believe! Pardon me as I show my Texan but Miranda Lambert, George Straight, The Judds, and more can be heard from my long, hot showers. 

I have many comforts in my life and am blessed to have more or less what I want when I want it. It's these comforts and indulgences, these automatic rewards that are often in the way of a healthier me. A third glass of wine, a sweet treat after dinner, a warm shower, a second helping of food that just tastes so good: what comforts am I willing to give up to live a healthier life, to be more balanced in mind, body and spirit? And would losing that comfort bring me to a higher vibration, making it all worth it? 

Just thoughts... 

Happy Cold Showering!

A note on citations: Hydrotherapy info gathered from Kundalini Yoga for Youth and Joy



Love&Light  

No comments:

Post a Comment